1. It is said that Alexander the Great introduced apricot to Greece. It is believed that it was General Lucullus of Rome who brought apricot to Rome from Armenia.
2. There is an Egyptian drink known as amar al-din. This drink is made from apricots. First, the apricots are dried. Then, a sweetener is added to the dried fruits and then the drink is made out of it.
3. Americans who happen to love apricot so much actually didn’t even know about the existence of the fruit till 17th The English settlers were the ones who brought apricot to the settlements in New World.
4. Most of the apricots that are produced in America are actually from apricot seedlings that Spanish missionaries carried to the west coast.
5. California leads commercial production of apricots in America. Utah and Washington contribute slightly. Actually 95% comes from California.
6. Apricot actually comes from rose family. It other words, it is a member of rosaceae family.
7. In the US, there is something called National Apricot Day. It is observed on 9th of January every year.
8. Typically, an apricot tree is capable of producing fruits for a period of 20 years to 25 years.
9. The ripening process of apricots is dampened dramatically when refrigerated. This is why, you should always leave the apricot at room temperature and when it is ripe, refrigerate it.
10. Apricots are totally free of cholesterol, sodium and saturated fats.
The health benefits of apricot include its ability to treat indigestion, constipation, earaches, fevers, skin diseases, cancer and anemia. Apricot oil is useful for treating strained muscles and wounds. It is also believed that apricot is good for skin care, especially for women. This is why you find it added in various cosmetics. Furthermore, apricots have the ability to improve heart health, reduce cholesterol levels, prevent the deterioration of vision, help you to lose weight, treat respiratory conditions, boost bone strength, and maintain electrolyte balance in the body.